The latest series of Linksys wireless routers have a built-in parental controls feature on the web-based setup page. However, before you start configuring the Linksys Parental controls feature, ensure that:
- The computer which is being used to set up Linksys Parental controls is connected to the router using an Ethernet cable.
- The time zone on the router is set according to the time zone of your current location.
If you have a Linksys wireless router at home which your children mostly abuse and spend more time on websites which they shouldn’t, you will need to limit their access using the parental controls feature. This feature is available using the Linksys Connect software. When you switch on the parental controls, the computers that are restricted won’t be able to access the websites unless they know the password.
Setting Up The Linksys Parental Controls
Enabling Parental controls and setting a password
- Open the Linksys Connect software, and click on the Parental controls button.
- Type a password in the fields next to “Parental controls password” and “Verify password”. Also, type a secret question and its answer in the fields you see on the screen. These are important security measures that help recover your password in case you lose it.
- Click on the “confirm” button.
- Once these details have been saved, you can select the devices that you want to restrict. Click on the “OK” button once done.
Note: If the device you are looking to add is not on the list, make sure that it is connected to the network and the firewall has been disabled.
Enabling Parental Controls Using the Linksys Smart Wifi Wizard
To set up your router’s parental controls using the Linksys smart wi-fi setup wizard, you will need to follow certain steps, which is an easy process.
- To access the linksys smart wifi setup wizard, you will need to launch a web browser ad type in the router IP address or the default web address in the address bar. The default IP address you can use is 192.168.1.1. If using this address doesn’t give you any results, you can use the default web address myrouter.local and press the Enter button.
- You will now reach the linksys smart wifi home page and see multiple options. Under the Smart Wi-Fi tools tab, click on the Parental Controls button.
- The parental controls window will appear on the screen and you can configure the parental controls as per your preference.
Blocking Specific Websites
This feature gives you more flexibility in terms of having control over your device. You can block specific websites and restrict users from accessing them. You can also block sites on specific devices using this feature in your Linksys Cloud account. Here is how you can do so:
- Open your Linksys cloud account using the login credentials.
- Select the parental controls button from the left panel.
- Choose the device which you want to restrict access from the “Restrict Internet Access On” section.
- Select “Add” from the “Block Specific Sites” button.
- Type the URL or the web address of the site you want to block. You can type the names of up to 10 websites.
- Click on the “Okay” button at the bottom of the window. The website will now be added to the blocked list.